September 22, 2009 - 3:19PM
Newly crowned WBO interim lightweight boxing
World Champion Michael Katsidis has been cleared of a broken jaw, but
local fight fans will have to wait a little longer to see him back in an
Queenslander Katsidis initially feared he had
suffered a broken jaw during his split points win over American Vicente
Escobedo in Las Vegas last weekend.
His trainer and manager Brendon Smith said
Katsidis had gone to hospital to have his injuries checked out.
"We just took precautions and we popped him to
the hospital and had a check up, everything is fine, no breaks," Smith
told AAP on the phone from Las Vegas.
"His hands have pulled up really good."
Smith said Katsidis would not fight again this
year and would remain in Las vegas with his wife, who is due to give
birth to their first child in early December.
Katsidis raised the possibility of having a big
fight back home, but Smith said his next bout would more than likely
take place in the United States.
The 29-year old from Toowoomba hasn't fought in
Australia since June 2006, with his last seven contests all taking place
Smith revealed there had never been any real
likelihood of Katsidis returning to Australia until he had regained the
WBO interim title belt he lost to Juan Diaz last year.
"When he lost the title he said to me `Brendon,
I really don't want to return until I win that title back'" Smith said.
"He really wants to fill a stadium in Australia
when he gets back, but that will come in time.
"At the moment the best opportunity for him is
here (in America). I don't believe it (a fight in Australia) will happen
on the next fight."
Smith said he had not had any communication
with the camp of the full WBO lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez,
who was ordered by the WBO to make a mandatory defence of his title
against the winner of Katsidis-Escobedo if he lost to Floyd Mayweather
in Las Vegas, as transpired.
He didn't expect the WBO to take too long in
giving Marquez a deadline by which he must defend against Katsidis or
relinquish his title.
"I don't think the WBO will want this to drag
out too long, so I am sure we will have some news in the near future,"
Even if Marquez doesn't agree to fight
Katsidis, Smith had no doubt his boxer would still have an attractive
matchup next time out.
Sydney Olympian Katsidis continued to enhance
his reputation as one of the world's most exciting fighters with a
relentless display of aggression against Escobedo.
Smith said both American cable television
network HBO and promoter Oscar de la Hoya were impressed by his charge's
"Michael is very television friendly with his
style," Smith said.
"The fight went all over the world and into
American cinemas and we had a very good performance.
"Even from El Salvador they call him `the last
As seen in